Thursday, May 31, 2012

Reinforcements have arrived!

Hurrah! I can now field a 10-man squad of Winter Guard! 11, if you count the beardy dude with the rocket launcher:


These guys just arrived from my regular source on eBay. I've also added a Berserker and a Man-O-War Kovnik to the force. Under the Butcher, the Berserker should do pretty well, as long as I keep Full Throttle up when it counts. But later, say, when I field Sorscha or perhaps at 35pts, I figure I'd better take a little of the focus burden off the casters and let the MoW Kovnik help out. Between his Jack Marshall and Drive, that's boosted attack and damage without spending any Focus - that's pretty big medicine with a Berserker. Not to mention the Kovnik is quite a brute up close himself...

Anyway, here are my current plans for the growth of my Butcher's army:

1) Man-O-War units: Right now, I'm loving the idea of having a wall of Shocktroopers with Bombardiers behind them, a slowly advancing, unstoppable wall of steel and shrapnel. So far, I've been using Assaut Terminators as Shocktroopers, but from what I'm hearing about 6th ed close combat weapons, I may well end up using Shocktroopers as Assault Terminators with Thunder Hammers and Storm Shields. The models just look awesome!

Forward, for the Motherland! Do well, and you may be allowed to proxy as Imperial Guard Valhallan Veterans with shotguns...


2) Winter Guard: Looking around on the intertoobs, it seems the Winter Guard Deathstar is one of those units that does well under anyone, notably my Khador casters of choice, Sorscha and the Butcher. So, that's a must. However, I'm also interested in trying out assassination by Icy Gaze and Mortars. Maybe later on...

3) Iron Fangs: To hell with them, at least until plastic models come out. I've nothing against the Iron Fangs, but models with big long pikes in metal? Yuck. IF plastic models turn up, then hell, yes. Otherwise, they're off limits.

Not done yet, but man, he looks mean...


4) Warjacks: Well, I'm still waiting to get my hands on a Battle Box, so there'll be a Destroyer and  Juggernaut there. All I'll ever need, really, of that type of Jack. The thing is, what about the Devastator, Spriggan or Demolisher? Those 3, I've opted not to touch them. Yet. Looking at the similarity in the chassis, I get the feeling that those 3 jacks are destined for a future in plastic. I can wait. That leaves 3 more jacks to consider: Behemoth, Kodiak, and Berserker. Behemoth, I won't touch because, frankly, I don't like the model. A metal model that big has no business prancing about on one leg. Kodiak, maybe. Berserker, maybe. I'll need a few more scraps to decide.

I know there's loads more to Khador I haven't looked at too closely yet, but for now I'd like to focus on building a solid 35 pt list and making it look pretty. After that, Menoth, then... well, who knows what 6th ed 40k will bring, eh? Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment