Friday, August 12, 2011

A long, LONG overdue update...


Oh, man, has it really been nearly a YEAR??

Well, a lot has happened since the last post. Really, a LOT has happened, most of which isn't within the scope of this blog. That thing I mentioned about painting is gonna have to wait. So, I guess I might as well be organized about this. The next few posts will be as follows, starting with this one:

1) My Blood Angel mechanized army as it is today.
2) My Grey Knight Draigowing army
3) My fall from the Emperor's Grace into the depths of CHAOS...

Just a brief update with a couple of pretty pictures for each. I'll go into details in later posts. So, here's the Blood Angel list as it stands today:

HQ
1 Librarian with Shield and Lance

Troops
4 x 5-man Assault Squads, each with Sgt power weapon, Infernus pistol and a meltagun, mounted in a Razorback armed with a Lascannon and twin-linked Plasmagun (the infamous Stronos pattern)

Fast Attack
2 x Baal Predators with Heavy Bolter sponsons

Heavy Support
Predator with Autocannon and Lascannon sponsons
Stormraven with Multimelta, Twin-linked Assault Cannon and extra armour (Librarian goes here)
Stormraven with Typhoon Missile Launcher and Twin-linked Assault Cannon

Total PV: 1745pts

The army in all it's glory:

I made this board with kitty litter!

That's the whole army as stated on the list, plus a few Sternguard flanking the Librarian, coz they were designed to look cool standing next to characters. Photo courtesy of 40kWong. One thing about all my armies: 100% plastic. I loathe metals. That having been said, there is ONE metal model in this army - the Librarian:


I plan to replace him with something cobbled together from plastic kits at somepoint. Besides being metal, the Librarian is also guilty of the sin of not being WYSIWYG. Anyhoo, here's a couple more pics of some key elements of the army...


I keep meaning to get round to naming my Seargeants, but it never happens. Alas, Sarge isn't WYSIWYG. That's something I intend to getting round to sorting out when I'm done painting every mini here. I know it looks kind of like the army's painted, but honestly, it isn't. LOTS of tiny little details to sort out. Text on scrolls, headlights, line highlights... The list goes on and on and it really doesn't help that I'm really easily distracted, particularly by work and my other armies. Anyway, more pics:

... and only AFTER I paint 5 kneecaps do I realize I've chosen the flag of Scotland as the squad emblem. The Sarge is now affectionately known as Sgt Wallace.

I know I could probably play something more efficient and killy than 2 Baal Predators, but I've a soft spot for Assault Cannons, ever since I blew up a Land Raider with a lucky shot from my Terminators (who are now gathering dust...). Last pic, the #1 dakka magnet...


It's a very rare thing indeed for my Stormravens to see the end of a game. And thanks to my growing Black Legion army, it's rarer still that it sees the end of my paint brush.

So how well does this army perform? Well, I don't get shredded every time I play, which is a good thing. Won some, lost some. I usually lose to marine armies (i.e. vanilla marines, jumping Blood Angels, Grey Knights, Chaos Marines... ), and I'm guessing the Baal Predators and Stormravens are eating points better spent on less flashy, more straightforward killy things, like maybe more Razorback assault squads, or a Vindicator or two. But hell, I just like those models, so they'll be staying for now. Besides, the sheer amount of violence Baal Predators inflict on squishier targets, like Guardsmen, Tyranids or Tau makes them oh-so-worth-it...

And that's my mechanized Blood Angel army. Will take a closer look at it in later posts, but first...

No comments:

Post a Comment