Thursday, March 13, 2014

WIP: Imperial Knight

2nd biggest model I've done yet, but by far the most detailed. Honestly, in terms of the actual modelling and painting joy there is in the Knight, the price (relative to a Baneblade) strikes me as really rather fair. Anyway, here's what I've done so far...

I did the chassis in pretty much the same way as prescribed by the GW video. First, I coated everything in Leadbelcher, then drowned the whole thing in Nuln Oil. I only washed once, though. Didn't see the need to wash twice. After that, a quick drybrush with Ironbreaker to give it a little more depth. The pistons were picked out as per the video, painted with Ironbreaker then washed on each end with Agrax Earthshade. I also picked out selected bits in Warplock Bronze, washed with Agrax Earthshade, then drybrushed with Dwarf Bronze.


The base was painted with a somewhat more thorough version of my usual technique. First, a few coats of Mournfang Brown, then drybrushed with Iyanden Darksun, then once more with Screaming Skull.


 All the red bits were picked out in Mephiston Red and line highlighted with Trollslayer Orange.


The chevrons are all done in Iyanden Darksun on a black background, then coated again with Golden Yellow. This can take several coats, so be patient, thin your paints and keep applying coat after coat after coat until a solid yellow is achieved. 


I'll be experimenting with the reaper chainsword; I'm going to try black stripes on a yellow background. Pics later... 


This bit is going to take a lot more work. I want the stripes to be bold and neat, which means a reasonable degree of symmetry. If you're going to do this with an old-fashioned brush like me, I recommend marking out your stripes, like so... 


A bit of careful work with Iyanden Darksun later, and here we are!


Stay tuned. More to come as it progresses...


No comments:

Post a Comment