Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Back to the Tacticals!

I've had this niggling urge to put a lot of good honest marines with bolters on the board for quite a while now. Having been playing Blood Angels since I got in 40k properly (about late 2009), I can put lotsa Assault Marines on the board, but for some reason I never got round to fielding any significant amount of Tacticals on the board, so here's what I'm up to:


A lot of these models were constructed a long, long time ago, so the construction is a little shoddy. Lotsa mould lines, bolter barrels not drilled out and, quite tellingly, not a single gunslinger sergeant. I'm looking to put at least 3 full squads on the board. Maybe 4 in the future, but 3 will do for now. Loadouts:

Squad 1: Flamer, missile launcher and plasma pistol for the sarge.
Squad 2: Plasmagun, plasma cannon and plasma pistol for the sarge.
Squad 3: Meltagun, lascannon and plasma pistol for the sarge.

Because plasma makes me laugh. I pondered tweaking the loadouts to something more consistent, like that tournament-winning Raven Guard list with 5 identical squads, but you know what? The hell with that. There's something awfully... boring about that. Hell, I might even switch around some sergeants, maybe a powerfist or a good old infernus pistol.

Anyway, nothing particularly amazing in terms of painting. Here's what went down.

Metal bits: Leadbelcher, washed with Nuln Oil, drybrushed with Ironbreaker. Pretty standard, really.
Gold bits: Blacked out first, then Shining Gold, washed with Chestnut Ink.
Eyes: Blacked out, then Warboss Green. At some point I may highlight with a line of Scorpion Green.
Red: Highlighted with Trollslayer Orange. Since these guys are rank and file, I only go for the most prominent surfaces, i.e. the upper half of the model, and part of the legs.

This is what most of them look like now:

Scruffy plug marine

Old, old tactical marine

Also got some decals done, coz my freehanding simply isn't good enough yet to consistently pull off the Blood Angels chapter emblem...




 If anything, this exercise only deepens my appreciation for the awesomeness of the Imperial Knight decals. After this, I've still got to paint on their squad markings. Anyhoo, stay tuned, hopefully I can get a batrep in with these guys...

Oh, and by the way, my Knight now travels in a little more style...



No comments:

Post a Comment