Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Hellhammerin' a little at a time...

Dabbed a little more paint on the Hellhammer. On further consideration, I also decided to repaint the aquilae white. Looks a lot better, I think:

Of course, that's not really Ceramite White, but Ulthuan Grey. That'll leave me room to highlight later. Also painted in the lens and did a little blacklining with Nuln Oil to deepen the recesses a bit more. And I got round to applying some decals.

I'll be first to confess, I'm not very good at it, but I think the way I use more or less works, though it could use some polish. Here's how I go about it:

1. Matt varnish the area that you're going to put a decal on.
2. Apply said decal. Use tweezers to hold the backing and a small brush to gently nudge the decal onto the right area, then slide out the backing.
3. At this point there should be a little water on and around the decal, so use the brush to poke the decal into exactly the right spot and push out any air bubbles.
4. When the decal is in place, dab away the excess water with a tissue.
5. Now give the whole area a coat of matt varnish again, and that's more or less that!

Of course, you don't have to stop here - you can always paint on the decal after the varnish has dried to clean it up a bit or make it more interesting. Here I've cleaned up the decals a bit (Khornate Red almost perfectly matches Krylon Burgundy!) and highlighted the red lightning bolt in the gauntlet.

At some point, I might want to go a little further and paint the gauntlet in shades of grey, too. Anyway, when I get round to that, there'll be pictures. Until next time, happy wargaming...

No comments:

Post a Comment