Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Necrons march!

Haven't updated in ages, and here's why:


What you're looking at is about 1750pts of Necrons. One more Annihilation Barge and I'm done, at least until the 2nd wave of Necron minis happens. Then I'll start thinking about Doom Scythes, Wraiths, Spyders and what-have you. For now, a closer look...




This here's my Overlord and his ever-present Cryptek sidekick. I run him with a Warscythe, Resurrection Orb, Mindshackle Scarabs and a Phase Shifter. Naturally, he's a Phaeron, and strides across the battlefield with 20 Warriors at his back. The Cryptek is a Harbinger of Eternity (I've designated blue as being the colour of eternity. Terry Pratchett fan, of course) with a Chronometron. The whole unit weighs in at 510pts, so it's been a prime target for any opponent I've faced, and I have to say, my army really is centred around the Phaeron and his blob of Warriors. If this unit goes down, it's near impossible for me to win. Of course, this means this unit needs the right support...


That's where the Immortals come in, led by this guy. He's completely made of Lychguard parts, I know, and if I played Lychguard, he'd walk among them, but yeah, in this army, he's a Necron Lord, with a Warscythe, Res Orb and Mindshackle Scarabs. The Immortals are all armed with Tesla Carbines. I'm still figuring out the ins and outs of this unit, though I've rarely had the chance. Almost every time they take to the field, they get a LOT of abuse, then proceed to fail an unreasonable number of armour saves. On top of that, they've failed an insane number of Reanimation rolls. Just yesterday I lost 9 Immortals to a salvo from some Zoanthropes and only 2 had the decency to get back in the fight! This unit's worth 260pts and is the first thing I'd alter about my list as soon as the 2nd wave happens...


To be honest, I didn't like the official Cryptek model, so I used these, throwing together bits from the Lychguard/Triarch Praetorians and then topping it off with a Deathmark head. A simple kitbash, but with the colour schemes I'm using I think it's clear enough that these aren't Lords, but Harbinger of Destruction Crypteks, junior to the decrepit old blue git who walks alongside the Phaeron. Of course, one of them will carry a Solar Pulse, that I may creep my scarabs that little bit closer...


Ghost Arks are a key player in this army. When the Phaeron's blob of Warriors takes abuse, not all of them will get back up. A pair of Ghost Arks on each flank will make sure they do. And the batteries of Gauss Flayers on each side, not to mention the firepower of the squads inside, make sure the Phaeron gets lots of covering fire.


At 90 pts each, Annihilation Barges dish out loads of grief. I once encountered an IG army which made use of LOADS of infantry squads, and having a pair of these things just made things SO much easier for me. With S7, a good salvo from one of these can easily fry a Heavy Weapons squad, or supress a vehicle. Can't do much against AV14, of course, but that's what Scarabs and Gauss weapons are for, eh?

Anyway, that's my Necron army. Will post a detailed list later, I suppose. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment