Tuesday, July 30, 2013

On the workbench...

So, 6th edition 40k is in full swing at my FLGS, and trends have come and gone, only for the next thing to come marching over the horizon. Some of my armies have coped with change well; others, not so. So here's a quick round up of the armies and what's going on with them...



The Imperial Guard
As some of you know, I've decided to start an Imperial Guard Armoured Battlegroup, i.e. a Tank Company. 8 Leman Russes of various types, supported by 2 Vendettas. I'm still 3 tanks short, but it's okay, I've got my hands full enough as it is painting what I've got.

At first, I wanted to do a little masking and spray on some camouflage patterns of some some, then I decided, screw it, my armies ALL wear their colours loud and proud, why not the Red Thunder (the current name of my tank company)? So here's a few pics of what I'm doing with them now...



I had gone with a lazy-ass scheme of spraying with Krylon Burgundy, followed by a hard drybrushing with Mephiston Red. It didn't have nearly as much depth as I wanted, so I started blacklining with Nuln Oil. Here's a pic of 2 tanks with and without...


Well, I'm pretty happy with the result. All the tanks will bear markings on their prows as above to make them easier to identify. Also, I intend to freehand their names on in Chinese or Japanese characters. The bright (or dark) flat patch near the front is ideal for that. Stay tuned as I take pics of the progress...

Necrons
I had touched on the Necrons in an earlier post, and will be trying out that army a little more, because it's full of awesome sauce. More Crypteks and Lords are under construction, though I've yet to figure out how to kitbash a suitable Illuminor Szeras...

Behind the Crypteks is a spare Lord, just in case... 

The Fallen King. A while ago, my old Overlord lost his head to my cats. I''m now painting up this new Lychguard head for him. I imagine him as the former phaeron of my Necrons, having been forcibly removed from his position by the Crimson King... 


Blood Angels
After a long, long break, I pulled out the Blood Angels a few times and have decided the FTO list is obsolete. Granted, it's absurdly killy, but it is reliant on 2 things:

1) Both Stormravens come in on Turn 2. Any later and I haven't enough time to do enough damage. There is a 4 in 9 chance of things going my way; 1 in 4, if the opponent has Divide and Conquer. Suffice it to say, that's far from adequate consistency in my book.

2) Neither Raven gets shot down. If a Stormraven goes down with its cargo, that's 580pts if it's Goldraven (with the Furioso and Sternguard), 708 if it's Blackraven (with the Death Company, Reclusiarch and psycho Dread). Each Stormraven and its cargo has tremendous killing power, but if one goes down, that completely cripples any chance for victory, since my path to victory is usually to wipe the other guy off the board.

In the past, against armies which hadn't quite adapted to 6th edition, the FTO list was a holy terror, and it's still pretty mean against certain armies without adequate anti-Flyer defense, like the Tyranids. Now, not so, seeing as most armies are quite capable of taking down a Raven before it unleashes its payload.

Now what?

So, the Blood Angels are looking for a new groove. Hopefully I find it, before the 6th ed Space Marine codex comes out and I'm forced to field the Blood Angels as (ugh) Vanilla Marines...

Deathwing
They haven't seen much action lately, but I have to say, pairing them with Grey Knights has yielded some win. Well, not game-wise, but it does look crazy cool on the board.

Chaos Marines
Not much to see here. Tried a list with a Daemon Prince. Had some kicks. Might try a pairing with Necrons.

No comments:

Post a Comment